Next week will be a political group week and a committee week in the European Parliament. Members of the European Parliament (“MEPs”) will hold meetings with their respective political groups to prepare the plenary session, to be held from July 3 to 6, 2017, in Strasbourg.
A few interesting discussions will take place in committee.
On Thursday, the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (“LIBE”) will discuss with the Commission its report on the Commission proposal on “countering money laundering by criminal law”. The proposal seeks to enhance the fight against terrorism. It introduces minimum rules that require Member States to define money laundering as a criminal offence, establish a regime to apply this offence when it relates to terrorism, and approximate sanctions. The new rules are also aimed at improving cooperation between national authorities, including through a greater exchange of information, so as to reinforce the EU’s initiatives to tackle terrorism. See the Commission proposal here.
On the same day, the LIBE Committee will hold a discussion on EU-Africa partnership. They will hold discussions with representatives of the Commission’s Directorate General for International Cooperation and Development (“DG DEVCO”) and representatives of the European External Action Service (“EEAS”). MEPs and the representatives of the other EU institutions are likely to explore ways and define a strategy to foster cooperation between the EU and Africa for the coming years, based especially on the Commission’s “Communication for a renewed impetus of the Africa-EU Partnership”. See the Commission Communication here.
Meetings and Agenda
Monday, June 26, 2017
Committee on Foreign Affairs
15:00 – 18:30
- Discussion with the EEAS on the situation in the Maldives
- Establishing an instrument contributing to stability and peace (2016/0207(COD)) – Rapporteur: Arnaud Danjean (EPP, FR) – Consideration of amendments
Tuesday, June 27, 2017
- No meetings scheduled.
Wednesday, June 28, 2017
- No meetings scheduled.
Thursday, June 29, 2017
Committee on Regional Development
9:00 – 12:30
- Joint REGI-COTER Hearing on the Implementation of the Urban Agenda for the EU, State of Play
Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs
9:00 – 17:30
- Eurojust 2016 Foreign Terrorist Fighters report – discussion with Michèle Coninsx, President of Eurojust (09.00-10.00)
- Countering money laundering by criminal law (COD) – discussion with the Commission (10.00-10.20)
- Rapporteur: Ignazio Corrao (EFDD, IT)
- Frontex Consultative Forum on Fundamental Rights (10.20-11.00) – discussion on the 2016 annual report
- Development of a European Integrated Border Management strategy – discussion with the Commission (11.00-11.45)
- Africa-EU Partnership – renewed impetus – discussion with representatives of DG International Cooperation and Development of the European Commission and representatives of the European External Action Service (EEAS) (11.45-12.10)
- European Union Agency for Asylum- vote on the provisional agreement resulting from interinstitutional negotiations
- Rapporteur: Péter Niedermüller (S&D, HU)
- Uniform format for residence permits for third-country nationals (COD) – vote on the provisional agreement resulting from interinstitutional negotiations
- Rapporteur: Jussi Halla-Aho (ECR, FI)
- Jointly with the Committee on Petitions
- Hearing on Statelessness (14.00-17.30)