Next week will be a committee and political group week in the European Parliament. MEPs will spend a good portion of their week with their political groups, where they will prepare for the plenary session in Strasbourg, scheduled for March 13-15, 2018. They will discuss, among other topics, the Brexit negotiations, the upcoming EU Council summit on March 22-23, 2018, the long-term budget of the EU, coordination of economic policy, and the common corporate tax base.
On Wednesday, Antonio Tajani, President of the European Parliament, and the leaders of the Parliament’s political groups (who make up the “Conference of Presidents of the European Parliament”) will propose a draft resolution on the future relationship between the EU and the UK. The resolution will be voted on the following week by the plenary session in Strasbourg. President Tajani and Guy Verhofstadt – the European Parliament’s “Brexit coordinator” – will then participate in a press conference on the resolution.
On Thursday, the Committee on Women’s Rights and Gender Equality (“FEMM”), together with the Directorate for Relations with National Parliaments, will host a joint meeting on “Empowering women and girls in media and ICTs: key for the future”. Věra Jourová, Consumers and Gender Equality Commissioner, and Vilija Blinkevičiūtė, European Parliament Women’s Rights and Gender Equality Committee Chair, will be among the speakers.
Meetings and Agenda
Monday, March 5, 2018
Committee on Transport and Tourism
15:00 – 18:30
- Discussion on the amendments on odometer manipulation in motor vehicles: revision of the EU legal framework (INL).
- Rapporteur: Ismail Ertug (S&D, DE)
Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs
15:00 – 18:30
- Joint debate with the Committee Foreign Affairs and with the Delegation for relations with Maghreb countries (DMAG) (15.00 – 16.00)
- Debriefing by the UNHCR on their work in Libya
- Structured dialogue with Vĕra Jourová, Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality – Discussion (16.00 – 17.30)
- Consideration of the draft Annual Report on the Functioning of the Schengen area (17.30 – 18.30)
- Rapporteur Carlos Coelho (EPP, PT)
Thursday, March 8, 2018
Committee on Women’s Rights and Gender Equality
09:00 – 12:30
- Joint meeting with the Directorate for Relations with National Parliaments: an Inter-parliamentary Committee Meeting “Empowering women and girls in media and ICTs: key for the future”.