Next week will be a committee and political group week in the European Parliament.
Members of the European Parliament (“MEPs”) will spend a good portion of their week with their political groups, where they will prepare for the plenary session, scheduled for June 17-19, 2020. They will discuss, among other topics, the upcoming Council summit (scheduled for June 19), the future relationship with the UK, the ongoing fight against disinformation, as well as the Schengen area and transport and tourism in the EU.
On Monday, MEPs in the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee (“ECON”) will vote on changes to EU rules concerning banks’ capital requirements and their ability to aid both businesses and households in the EU following the economic crisis.
On the same day, MEPs in the Internal Market and Consumer Protection Committee (“IMCO”) will discuss the future Consumer Agenda and the Commission Work Programme for 2020 with Didier Reynders, Commissioner for Justice. The Work Programme had to be amended following the outbreak of COVID-19. MEPs are also likely to discuss contact-tracing apps and the tourism sector.
On Friday, the Foreign Affairs Committee (“AFET”) and the Committee on International Trade (“INTA”) will likely approve the European Parliament’s draft recommendations regarding the EU-UK negotiations and on their new relationship. The recommendations will also contain input from 17 other committees.
Meetings and Agenda
Monday, June 8, 2020
Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs
15:45 – 19:45
- Monetary Dialogue with Christine LAGARDE, President of the European Central Bank
- Public Hearing with Christine LAGARDE, Chair of the European Systemic Risk Board (17.45 – 18.45)
Vote (18.45 – 19.45)
- Adoption of draft report: Amending Regulations (EU) No 575/2013 and (EU) 2019/876 as regards adjustments in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Rapporteur: Jonás FERNÁNDEZ (S&D, ES)
Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection
13:45 – 18:45
Debate (16.45 – 18.45)
- Exchange of views with Didier REYNDERS, Commissioner for Justice – on the adapted work programme of the Commission following the COVID-19 outbreak
Committee on Transport and Tourism
09:00 – 18:30
- Exchange of views with Henrik HOLOLEI, Director-General for Mobility and Transport, European Commission, on transport aspects of the EU Recovery Plan and revised long-term EU budget for 2021-2027
Mobility Package I vote on the tabled amendments and the draft recommendations for second reading for the three social and market access files:
- Posting drivers in the road transport sector
- Rapporteur Kateřina KONEČNÁ (GUE/NGL, CZ)
- Minimum requirements on maximum daily and weekly driving times, minimum breaks and daily and weekly rest periods: positioning by means of tachographs
- Rapporteur Henna VIRKKUNEN (EPP, FI)
- Pursuing the occupation of road transport operator and access to the international road haulage market
- Rapporteur Ismail ERTUG (S&D, DE)
Committee on Regional Development
12:00 – 14:00
- Structured dialogue with Elisa FERREIRA, Commissioner for Cohesion and Reforms, on the recovery plan, the new MFF proposal and the future of cohesion policy
Committee on Constitutional Affairs
16:45 – 18:45
- Working group on the Rules of Procedure (AFCO/9/03093) – Presentation of progress report on the work of the Working Group
- The Conference on the Future of Europe and the role of the European Parliament (AFCO/9/01332) – Exchange of views
Thursday, June 11, 2020
Committee on Budgetary Control
09:00 – 12:00
- Implementation of EU funds: towards more effective management and control systems under shared management (i.e. risk assessment tools, conditionality and future role of EPPO).
- Rapporteur: Ramona STRUGARIU (Renew, RO)
Committee on Employment and Social Affairs
12:00 – 13:00
Debate followed by remote voting session
- Commission Directive amending Annex III to the Biological Agents Directive 2000/54/EC to classify COVID 19 as a biological agent know to infect humans – adoption of motion for a resolution.
- Co- rapporteurs: Agnes JONGERIUS (S&D, NL), Kira Marie PETER-HANSEN (Verts/ALE, DA), Petra DE SUTTER (Verts/ALE, BE), Nikolaj VILLUMSEN (GUE/NGL, DA), Daniela RONDINELLI (NI, IT)
Committee on Fisheries
16:45 – 18:45
- Exchange of views with Commission representatives on the EU Biodiversity Strategy for 2030
- Exchange of views with Commission representatives on the Marine Strategy Framework Directive
Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs
14:00 – 16:00
- Anti-discrimination policy in times of COVID-19, in particular on the situation of LGBTI – exchange of views with Helena DALLI, Commissioner for Equality (14.00 – 15.20)
- The impact of COVID-19 on the activities of the European Union Agency for the Operational Management of Large-Scale IT Systems in the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice (eu-LISA) – presentation by Krum GARKOV, Executive Director, eu-LISA (15.20 – 16.00)
Friday, June 12, 2020
Committee on International Trade and Committee on Foreign Affairs
09:00 – 16:45
Extraordinary joint meeting
- Adoption of draft report – Recommendations on the negotiations for a new partnership with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland /2020/2023(INI))
- Co-rapporteurs Kati PIRI (S&D, NL) and Christophe HANSEN (EPP, LU)
Committee on Fisheries
09:00 – 11:00
- Exchange of views with Commission representatives on the Farm to Fork Strategy: “What place for fisheries and aquaculture?”